Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Project 5-Process Questions

After already sketching my design out, I realized that I would need a very legible typeface for curvy line design at the bottom half of my composition. I needed a typeface that was a san serif, something clean and neat. For the title, I wanted to use the same typeface as the writing design but also incorporate a more handwriting (natural) looking typeface in the title some how. I used Abadi MT Condensed Light and handwriting Dakota.

______________________

I started looking up some poetry and how a poet arranged the poem they wrote. I really wanted to incorporate an image as well with some sort of flowing text. I can up with four designs that I drew and really only thought about the image and the text more then the title. All the designs had a similar concept and then choose the hand writing text.

______________________

The thing that I found difficult for this project was a way to make the text on a curvy line. Making a curvy line in Illustrator was a lot harder then I thought. I used many different ways and the only way was the hand place every letter on an imaginary line. I first made the curvy line with the pen tool and it just wasn’t coming out the way I wanted to so I took the hard rought and hand made it.

______________________

For this project, I didn’t really find any solutions to help me move through the process quicker. In the end though, I did tell myself that I can not spend hours trying to make something look perfect because it will never look like what I imagined.

______________________

Technically, as I said before, I had some difficulty with making the curvy line. I did learn more about the pen tool as I was using it. I learned how to add anchors and delete anchors as well.

______________________

Positive and negative space was very important in my composition. With the way the hand was positioned with the text, it left me with a very open space up top for the title. I had to consciously think were to place the title and the Lasell logo as well to make everything even with the bottom.

______________________

Harmony- The use of repetition was everywhere in my design. I repeated the curve line of text to make a cool design. I also repeated the typefaces.

______________________

Variety- With the curve line with the text, it created a pattern look to it and it also added contrast to the design since the design is very plain.

______________________

Balance- I tried to balance the curve lines to make a repetitive design. With the curve and shape of the lines, it creates a balance in the page.

______________________

Proportion- With the size of the hand plus the curvy lines make a very odd shape. So the title size needed to be proportioned to the curvy lines.

______________________

Dominance- The hand here is dominant to many things. But everything should balance each other in the end.

______________________

Movement- Movement through out the composition was important. With the movement of the curve design and the hand on top, your eyes start at the bottom where 2010 Essays…start. It then leads your eyes to the hand then to the title.

______________________

Economy- The message of writing should be conveyed with the curve design with the text.

______________________

I did find this project interesting. I found it difficult incorporating typography aspects to the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment