Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Project 3-Process Questions

When first thinking about my typefaces for this project it was free for all. I cant think of a type of typeface that even describes me in some way. They typeface that I used for my final was something that just worked with my design. I guess it looks a little futuristic in some way, which describes me in some sense. My typeface had to work with my idea that I had, and in the end it did.

_____________________

Whenever I receive rules or guidelines for a project I go straight to the computer. I did not sketch out anything for this project. I am not the best drawer and if I presented my drawn thumbnails to people, they would grasp my idea that I originally had in my head, so that is why I go straight to the computer. Especially for this project you really need to think of a perfect typeface to go with the design you have and drawing a typeface is hard. Moving things around and playing with pathfinder and color helped me come up with my final. Also in the end I never changed my design since the beginning.

_____________________

The one thing that I found challenging was trying to organize the letters in a way where people can read SB, and also keep to the rules of overlapping. Working with the pathfinder tools really helped me come up with my final and different ideas.

_____________________

There were no really solutions that I found since I produced my final design in the first stages but just the fact that move the letters around and changing the typefaces was a type of solution to get to the final design.

_____________________

Technically like I said before, using the pathfinder tools really helped me get to my final. I learned what each button meant and what affect it gives off. Learning the tools for overlapping is going to be very helpful in the end.

_____________________

My final design had no color because the affect of positive and negative space in black and white looked ascetically good. I wanted the S dominate compared to the B, so I made the weight of the S thicker. The B is thinner and when putting the B in the middle of the S, it gave it a cool affect. The negative areas of my design are equal to the positive space in some ways. The B and the S, with this typeface have a similar shape to them and it worked out in the end.

_____________________

Harmony- with the two letters together, they produce rhythmic spacing. They are similar shapes and they work well together. The B is well proportioned with the S.

_____________________

Variety- I used good use of contrast in the design. With using the pathfinder effect, it gives off a good visual grouping with the center of the B being white.

_____________________

Balance- if you cut my design in half, it would almost be the same on both sides. It is well symmetric. The overall shape of my design is a square, and a square is well balanced on both sides.

_____________________

Proportion- In relationship to each other, the two letters work with one another well. The balance and size differences between them make them proportioned.

_____________________

Movement- Here, the S is dominant compared to the B. I wanted readers to look at the S first and then move into the middle of the logo to see the B next. With the shape of the S and how when it ends both on top and on bottom, your eyes can’t help but go to the center of it. It conveys my overall logo and message well.

_____________________

Economy- In the end, my overall message of the S being before the B is conveyed well. Even if you look at the B before the S, the S still stands out as being the dominant letter.

_____________________

I really enjoyed doing this project. I think I produced a well design logo that I can use in the future for my company. The process of this project went very quickly for me, but I did produce a well design logo that I am proud of. I just recently used this logo next to my name on my resume, and I got very good feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment